Not into RPF-hatin' here....

Go down

Not into RPF-hatin' here....

Post  Thomas Paine in the Asse on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:51 am

Just to be clear, the purpose of this forum is not to bash relentlessly the RPF or its owners. As I see it, there's plenty of room to find common ground, mend fences, and heal old wounds.

But a big problem is that the RPF so thoroughly shuts down any dissenting voices that there is no place else to discuss the things that bother so many collectors about the way the hobby is managed online.

If the folks in charge there could just loosen up and stop trying to crush criticism, they might find that the folks with issues are not out to get them.

A lot of folks who helped make the hobby what it is feel disenfranchised, and have good things to say. As I found over the past decade or so, people who might bicker online can be quite friendly over a beer offline. There are any number of real bad guys out there, who recast with abandon, who take money and don't deliver, and worse....

Sadly, the RPF has expended great energy keeping out good people who are simply outspoken and passionate, while they tolerate or ignore the real problems.

And each regime seems to pass the same misperceptions to the next generation. How do we break the cycle?

Thomas Paine in the Asse
Admin

View user profile http://proped.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Who?

Post  TheMan on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:03 am

You say "a lot of folks".

As far as I see, it's maybe a half a dozen.

Please list the disenfranchised.

TheMan

Back to top Go down

Re: Not into RPF-hatin' here....

Post  Thomas Paine in the Asse on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:11 am

Won't speak for others other than generally and based on my impressions. And what if it was just a half dozen? Does that make a difference? Why so much energy to keep out a few outspoken collectors who have only done good for the hobby?

Thomas Paine in the Asse
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why?

Post  TheMan on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 am

You didn't answer my question. But....

Why bother trying to "fix" something that is only "broken" to point 1% (of that many) of the members?

You can't please everyone.

Why fight so hard to be part of a group that doesn't want you around?

TheMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Moogan on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:44 am

TheMan wrote:

Why fight so hard to be part of a group that doesn't want you around?

There's your logical fallacy. Your argument starts off based on a false premise.

It's not the group that doesn't want him around, it's the four or five people that control the place that maintain (admittedly, in my case) the decisions, however incorrect, of their predecessors.

How do you respond to that, Mr. TheMan?
Tom Moogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Paine in the Asse on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:48 am

What Tom said. The "group" itself is probably largely ambivalent. In fact, of the people that are interested--the "voting public" if you will--I'm quite confident a majority would support the views I advance.

The problem is that the mysterious and unaccountable "RPF Staff" blots out entirely any discussion of such matters. When you can't even discuss, how can you resolve, let alone reconcile?

By the way "TheMan," my name is John. I'm sure we're acquainted from the RPF. You are who again...?

Thomas Paine in the Asse
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cir.2000 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Having been a member of the RPF since 2000, I can promise you it's not just the banned few members here but an absence of a lot of people who, while still officially members, post so seldom as to be more or less MIA. I, myself, stopped posting for several years because of the mass exodus of members that at one time were the life blood of the RPF. I'm just a collector and amateur prop builder, my lost, while bad for me personally, had zero affect on the whole. The rest leaving, however, were a major blow IMHO. I only recently returned to check things out and was still shocked at the people who were no longer active. Even though the RPF has grown back with countless people just as talented, I still think sadly of what could have come from it if only....

Still, I've been back for just over a year and I am amazed at how things are running, the hypocrisy shown by members over all aspects of the hobby including the persecution of some and the overlooking of others when all are guilty of some perceived indiscretion.

Yes, there was some conflicts back in the day. but for all that it was entertaining and informative. The RPF lost something back then and, sadly, it will never return.

Cir.2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum